Friday 20 January 2012

Report

The live multi cam shoot we did on the 10th and 17th of january in Lever St had many different roles we could have took part in, but due to us having a big group, not every one could take part in every role. The role I took part in on the 10th and the 17th were:

  • Camera Operator
  • Camera assistant
  • Vision Mixer
  • Floor Manager
  • Online Technician
I took part as a camera operator on camera 1, which was located on the left hand side and camera 4 which was downstairs in the interview room. As these were two different types of camera operating as one was various different shots, such as tilting, panning, close ups and many more and camera 4 was a steady one shot scene as it was used for interviewing only, I felt the need to do both cameras at some point because it varies the type of camera roles i've done. I was also a camera assistant, this was simply to make sure the cables from the camera didn't go under the wheels of the track cam. I also had a role on Vision mixing which is a very effective role and again varied up the types of roles i took part in. I was also the floor manager and the online technician which are completely different roles, which is a benefit as it shows how things work from different aspects of the live broadcast show.

The camera operators link into other roles as well such as, the camera operators listen to the director for what shots he wants, otherwise there wouldn't be varied camera shots. Where as, the vision mixing role also ties in with the directing role again as the director tells the vision mixer what camera to cut to at what time. Without the Vision mixer, the project would only stay on one shot throughout the whole broadcast. Yet again the floor manager also links to the rest of the production as the director, sound technician and the vision mixer are in the gallery which is in a different room, it wouldn't be practical for the director to come in to tell everyone to be quiet or to ask the musicians when they will be ready etc, so therefore thats how the floor manager links in with the other roles in the production. The online technician, although its not all that important, it still plays a important role within the production, otherwise the broadcast simply wouldn't be broadcasted to Ustream. On the other hand, the production wouldn't fail or fall apart if there wasn't an online technician.

Although I took part in a few of different roles, there were some that i didn't take part in, such as:

  • Director
  • Sound Operator
  • interviewer
The main reason i didn't take part in these roles was because we are a big group and not everyone could have done every role, there just wasn't enough acts to change around so that everyone could do each role.

The director role is one of the most important roles in the production as they decide how the production will pan out, and what order things will go in. This role links in to every other role as the director will tell the camera operators what shots to do, the floor manager to keep the studio quiet and the vision mixer to cut to different shots when needed. The sound operator links into the rest of the production as he/she has to make sure the sound of the music or the interview isn't too loud or too quiet, and most importantly to make sure the music isn't distorted. The interviewer also links into the production and the other roles as without the interviewer, there simply wouldn't be an interview.

On the 10th and the 17th of January in Lever Street, I believe that my performance aided the production in a beneficial and positive way. At first, me and the other members of the Broadcast Television course helped bring in the necessary equipment from the van, and helped set it up. I also helped sort out one of the cameras that had a problem with the composite cable but was shortly fixed. When one of my group members had any problems with cameras i offered to help and aided them in areas that I knew and if I didn't know what was wrong, i'd try find someone else who had better knowledge than I did on that area. Again when a member of my group had problems with the online operating, I tried to help and again if there was bits I didn't know, I asked someone else who had more knowledge for example Josh. When I was on the camera, I learnt from practice sessions from fielden shoots, that I had to offer the director different camera shots, even if he/she doesn't ask for different shots, I believe this aided the director at times when they may have not known what to shoot next, or forgot to tell me what shots they wanted. There was a few difficulties I faced, which were mainly out of my hands, such as when i was the vision mixer, the online technician forgot to save our work, it got streamed on Ustream, but wasn't saved. The music students needed the video too as well as us, but we overcame this problem by filming the same act again at the end with everyone in the same role and this time we saved the shoot.

If I got to do the whole day again, and I could do things differently, I would firstly get the job roles everyone was doing sorted before we turned up to Lever Street, we left it too late and created a new table for the job roles on the day at Lever Street which slowed us down, and in the long run could have sabotaged a few acts by not having enough time to film all the act. I would secondly change the lower third we used, although it was effective, we didn't technically create our lower third, we used a preset that was already saved on the Tricaster, this would have give us more credit and would have made the production a lot more unique. Lastly, I would have insisted that everyone got there on time and left when everyone else did, by people turning up late and people leaving early, luckily it didn't affect our production, but it could have simply effected the production by a drastic measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment